View Poll Results: Which is best: Hp Tuenrs or EFI Live (Post comments)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • HP Tuners

3 100.00%
  • EFI Live

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HP Tuners or EFI Live?

HP Tuners or EFI Live?

What do you guys use? For those that have used both what do you prefer?

Also curious.
    05 S2000 -- s366 -- v160 -- Ford 8.8" -- 585whp (tuned by me on E77) // LS1/T56 in progress...

I use Hp Tuners, don't have much experience with EFI Live so I'm no help in comparing. One tip for HP Tuners, if you want to be serious about tuning make sure you get the Pro version and the wide-band. Makes life so much easier when you can watch your engine data and AFR on one screen.
    Attached Images

You can do it the "sloppy" way and run your Wideband into your EGR port and set it up there with standard, but I would also suggest PRO.

I have used both and find HPT more user friendly. Not near as easy as MS, Hondata, and Crome which I am very familiar with. EFI has some weird ways of getting to stuff I think. Your boost tables are put in custom and kind of funky to me. I used EFI LIVE this last year being I got it from a friend who bought it and never used it. I have switched back to HPT for the ease of operation across the board.

There is a ton of support for both but it always seems to me(opinion) I can come up with Bins very easy when I look for them, vs EFI Live. Both are great products.

One thing I DO like about EFI Live is that RPM reads down and KPA read across like all of my other Honda stuff did. HPT has RPM across and KPA down which really messed with me at first. I would literally hold my laptop sideways sometimes being I had it beat into my that way!

If I did another LS swap, I would buy MS with a harness and call it good. Easy, clean, cheap, Done.
    Last edited by Gerrot; 02-19-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrot View Post
    You can do it the "sloppy" way and run your Wideband into your EGR port and set it up there with standard, but I would also suggest PRO.

I have used both and find HPT more user friendly. Not near as easy as MS, Hondata, and Crome witch I am very familiar with. EFI has some weird ways of getting to stuff I think. Your boost tables are put in custom and kind of funky to me. I used EFI LIVE this last year being I got it from a friend who bought it and never used it. I have switched back to HPT for the ease of operation across the board.

There is a ton of support for both but it always seems to me(opinion) I can come up with Bins very easy when I look for them, vs EFI Live. Both are great products.

One thing I DO like about EFI Live is that RPM reads down and KPA read across like all of my other Honda stuff did. HPT has RPM across and KPA down which really messed with me at first. I would literally hold my laptop sideways sometimes being I had it beat into my that way!

If I did another LS swap, I would buy MS with a harness and call it good. Easy, clean, cheap, Done.
    lol I know what you mean. I tune with AEM (Pro/Tuner); the maps are Pressure Up/RPM across. When looking at maps (in HPTuners), I find myself mentally rotating the axis.
    05 S2000 -- s366 -- v160 -- Ford 8.8" -- 585whp (tuned by me on E77) // LS1/T56 in progress...

Hp tuners is very very user friendly you can choose to select your monitors to always pass (helps me a lot in my area as the Etest is plug in)

As Gerrot said its very user friendly

The only draw back is if your running a 97/8 PCM....Shit worthless support. 16psi max, no RTT, reads slow as shit, and they lock(brick) often. I have tuned a couple cars with them and it went fine, but not near as nice as the worst Honda stuff I have done. Anything 99+ is easy though, I always use RTT too.

One really cool thing is the scanner. My students use it on a lot of Gm cars that come in the shop. Not that it does any better than our Verus/Modis or Solus but they think its cool to use a laptop in the car as a scanner....and If they think its cool, they learn, if they learn, I'm happy.

I believe I'm stuck using EFI Live. In my state, the ECU MUST have the same vin as the car to pass inspection. EFI Live allows non GM vins, HPT does not.
    I wish these systems had nitrous controllers, like Hondata.

That's an interesting way to work around the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith P View Post
    I believe I'm stuck using EFI Live. In my state, the ECU MUST have the same vin as the car to pass inspection. EFI Live allows non GM vins, HPT does not. I wish these systems had nitrous controllers, like Hondata.

Anyone here use or done much with AEM V1? I have tuned on multiple programs before but never V1 until a week ago. I tuned a 05 Evo MR on it and it went ok, but took a little longer than expected. It was a different approach to say the least. Would not be my first choice of a tuning program ever.

+ Reply to Thread