+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Swap to Do?!

Which Swap to Do?!

I've found myself with a pretty s2000 and not enough power to keep me entertained anymore. I've dabbled in cars, and I can't do much else by myself besides the basics. I understand a lot of time and money would go into this project.
    I've been considering a swap since my engine blew last June but threw another stock 2.0 back in it until I could learn more. This LS1 swap is the hype right now. It's super popular (though really awesome) and I don't want to hop on the trend bandwagon. I originally liked the idea of the LS2 instead, anyway.
    But, here I am considering a few different motors and just wanted to start a discussion on your thoughts/feelings on these engines.

First, the s50 euro w/ ITBs - automatically one of my favorite engines after learning more about it through BMW friends.
    Second, the s52 - the cheaper alternative. also easy to boost. and find parts for.
    Third, the LS2 - because LS1 is too mainstream .. LOL
    Last, the V10 Viper motor that is a PITA but oh so gorgeous

Hmmm....

4.8 with a china turbo. Cheap, easy, fast. Screw all the Ls stuff anymore. To much money.

In my opinion, a BMW engine in the car is a downgrade. Are you opposed to turbo setups?
    05 S2000 -- s366 -- v160 -- Ford 8.8" -- 585whp (tuned by me on E77) // LS1/T56 in progress...

Reason ls1 is "mainstream" is because its so cheap comparing to the ls2 and with a cam you can make what an ls2 makes and more. Cheaper

What about the BMW intrigues you? Have you done a cost comparison hp to hp between this engine and others? How about the overall fitment? As long as the BWM engine fits without crazy fab work I think your answer comes down to what will make you happy in the end. That said whatever you do make sure you post your build I would love to see it!

The BMW motors are power houses in their own right. I love the torque they put out and ITBs are always fun. It'd be something completely different. I'd be the one to paint my car alpine white and throw the ///M stripes on - really confuse the non enthusiasts even more.
    I've had a turbo motor blow on me already - and I don't think I'm ready to deal with the turbo maintenance again.

I'm still toying with the LS1/LS2 idea as well. I've got some serious time to think about it. I'm happy that more LS1 builds are happening, so that bugs are being worked out and more concrete details are available. At the same time, I'm trying to figure out how to make my build different with the LS engines. It's a toss up at this point.

Perhaps, but not worth the amount of work required to get one to fit in an S2000 chassis. My vote is for an LSx.
    05 S2000 -- s366 -- v160 -- Ford 8.8" -- 585whp (tuned by me on E77) // LS1/T56 in progress...

Has anyone fitted a dohc v8? I keep thinking it must be possible (seeing other 1 off projects, but to what extent? Id really love a maserati 4.7l grandturismo. The bellhousing is fairly smaller circumference (thinking this might make it possible to get the heads farther from the rails), and a coupe came with a 6spd.

If only I had the time or resources. Trying to find a dimensions picture has been impossible (to compare to ls1) which seems to be in the 30" range across from head to head.

+ Reply to Thread