+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone driven an Ariel Atom before?

Anyone driven an Ariel Atom before?

Has anyone here driven an Ariel Atom before? If so what are your thoughts?

I haven't. I know they used to, and may still, do Ariel Atom track days at VIR. I would love to attend that someday. If you haven't seen this Topgear clip it's quite entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbsYPXAJhxU

I've driven one once. It was the NA k20 version with a 4.7 final drive. The car definitely felt fast! Zero traction in 1st gear, very squirrely in 2nd at WOT... Handling was unreal though! A quick 1st to 2nd gear would keep the tires spinning hard though 2nd, but was still very controllable! But the owner did have it step out and spin on him once banging 2nd gear. Luckily, he kept on the road and off the curb!

No real complaints about the car other than it seriously needs a windshield, otherwise it HAS to be driven with a helmet or goggles. The owner and I talked about modifying a motorcycle double bubble windscreen, but he never got around to finding one that fit. Even just cruising at 40mph, you get so beat up by wind, your eyes are just pumping out tears to keep them from drying out... that part kinda sucks! Also, getting in and out can be tricky. The one a drove had the mirrors installed on the edge of the dash and were sort of in the way when getting in and out. They were enough in the way that the passenger mirror was broken off by someone not watching it when getting out...

I would love to drive one soon.

+ Reply to Thread